2007 Noise Complaints

1.    February 15, 2007, John Zweck, 651-6522, called at 12:25 to complain about a white helicopter that circled his farm property eight times in the past hour. He said it was a small white helicopter. He said he recalled reading in the newspaper about our noise abatement and good neighbor policy and why this guy wasn’t complying with it. He wanted to know if I could stop it and told me I didn’t have to call him back.
2.    An anonymous lady called from Champion greens at 12:26L to complain about a small white bi-plane that circled over many times. She said she wanted me to know about it and talk to the pilot. No other information was available.
3.    March 5, 2007, Tom Zweck called at 17:28 to complain about a yellow bellied and blue nosed helicopter that flew over his farm house too low. He said it was completely obnoxious and polluting the valley. He said the helicopters are out of control. He also wanted to know what was going on with the rotating beacon and the hangar lights that still bother him. He said he hasn’t talked to Phil yet, but that he is going to. He wants me to get a handle on the helicopters and have them fly over Twin Peaks golf course.
4.    March 5, 2007, Tom Zweck called at 17:33 to complain about the helo again saying this time it was farther to the south and not over his farm. He wants to know why we still allow helo’s to use the airport. He said his brother has also complained. He said there is no reason for helo’s to fly over him. He wants me to remind the pilot of the raptors that call his farm home and the good neighbor policy.
5.    March 5, 2007, Tom Zweck called at 17:42 to complain about the helo again that flew so low it shook his house. He says this is violating his rights and we need to educate the pilot. This has already been six or seven passes and Tom feels he doesn’t deserve this. Tom wanted me to get back to him.
6.    March 5, 2007, Tom Zweck called at 17:47 to complain about the helo still doing touch and go’s and wants to make sure I document it. He wants me to bring it to the attention of Phil. Tom said this is utter disrespect to me and the good neighbor policy and we shouldn’t allow this person to use the airport anymore. He wants to make sure I tell the pilot about the good neighbor policy.

I called Tom back on 3/6/2007 at 14:10 to tell him I received all four of his messages and that I would log his calls in the data base. I advised since it was after hours there was not much I could do about it. I told Tom I will be on the look out for the helicopter and contact the pilot when I can and that I would also be sending the helicopter schools a NAP reminder for the upcoming season. I also advised that either Phil or Don would be in touch with him regarding the light situation in the next week or so.

7.    March7, 2007.  Tom Zweck called at 11:50 to complain about a helo which was different from the one he complained about previously. This one is black and silver. He said it has made 2 passes right over the top of him and wants to know why we allow helo’s to use the airport and if we advertise for them to come here. He wants to know what happened to the good neighbor policy. He said there was also another airplane that was yellow and white that made five passes previously which is too many times. He wants me to be able to predict what the weather will be and when the wind blows out of the east he wants me to monitor traffic over his farm, especially in the spring and summer months. He said right now a red bi-plane is flying over his farm.

8.    An anonymous lady called at 15:58 who lives in Champion Greens to complain about too many over flights from aircraft using the airport today. She wants us to move them all to the north so they don’t fly over her house and to do what I can to make it quieter. She doesn’t believe it is necessary for airplanes to fly over Champion Greens.

9.    March 7, 2007. Rachel, 651-6254, called to complain about the number of over flights above her subdivision. She lives in the Clover Basin neighborhood and believes that there is too much traffic. She asked that I shift the traffic pattern so it does not fall over the houses south of the airport. I called Rachel back on 3/8 at 10:10 and left her a message with her husband.

10.     March 8, 2007. Tom Zweck called at 09:32 to say he was under assault again by a helo and wants to know why it is so difficult for us to get control of the situation. He wants me to get back to him.

11.    March 8, 2007. Don forwarded me a message from Tom Zweck at 09:53. Tom indicated he believes he is following protocol by calling Don. He advised Don that he had talked to me about the helo’s and the lights at the airport. He also said his brother had complained about the helo too. Tom said Tim was going to write a letter but why has it taken him two weeks since his brother complained about it to write the letter. He feels that yesterday and today his house has been the target of the helo’s. He asked that Don intervene on his behalf and that the helo’s should understand he has a centennial farm and that the helo’s should do their maneuvers over Twin Peaks golf course and that he is tired of it.  Don asked that I give him information regarding Tom’s brother’s call and any other documentation. I forwarded the log to Don on March 9 at 10:30.

12.    March 9, 2007. Tom called at 09:31 to complain about too much traffic over the farm. He said one plane is not obnoxious and is above 500 feet but it had made too many passes. He said it has been going on too long. He said that I have been remiss in my duties about enforcing the NAP.

13.    March 9, 2007. Tom called at 09:34 to complain again about too much traffic over his farm. He said there is a royal blue plane with white stripes that has made several passes and he wants me to get a grip on it. He wants to know whether we have a good neighbor policy or not. He also wants to know if I need help in making sure planes don’t fly over all the time. He said I need to do a better job of monitoring. He said the plane was not exactly like, but similar too the plane he complained about last year. He wants me to do something other than log it in the data base.

14.    March 13, 2007. Tom called at 10:16 to complain about a white helo that was flying north of him over his already harassed brother. Tom can’t understand what is going on. Tom feels the first thing all flight instructors should teach is the good neighbor policy. He said there are billions of areas helos can fly in the valley without bothering him. He wants them to fly in the foot hills or over Rabbit mountain. He said he is still waiting for a letter from me and wants to know what the content is. He said I am missing the boat. We need to do a better job educating pilots. He said Don sent him a letter which is Don’s typical non-solution. He wants to know what we will do to control this so it doesn’t affect his quality of life anymore. He feels we need to teach people better.

Don called me three times on this particular helo indicating it was flying a right hand pattern and was flying over Zwecks. Don also called Air West and asked Mary to radio the pilot. In speaking to Mary, the helo landed and came in for a brief from Air West. The pilot was Cody from Premier Helicopters at Jeffco. Cody was informed of the NAP by flight instructors from Air West as well as how to integrate into the patter with fixed wing aircraft, which was also causing a problem. I have put in a call to Premiere to speak to Cody. I also sent them a letter and copy of the NAP in which the Zweck farm was hi-lited so they can avoid that in the future. I will call Tom back today and pass this on.

15.    March 14, 2007. An anonymous lady called who lives in Champion Greens to complain about the amount of air traffic over the houses there. She said today is a real heavy day and that someone from the neighborhood association is going to talk to me. She wants the traffic routed somewhere else.
16.    March 14, 2007. Tom called at 12:41 to complain about a white plane with a red fuselage that has made four passes over his garden and when he is right over the top, the plane pulls up. Tom believes this is someone who is taking lessons on their lunch hour and has not been instructed on the GNP. He said Don’s letter doesn’t allude the  GNP only the NAP and we need to focus more on the GNP. We need to spend more time teaching the GNP. He also stated that the paraphrasing in the letter Don sent was nott indicative of the blue and white plane he mentioned last year, that he was only being facetious and that he believed it couldn’t have been the same plane. Tom wants to talk to me about the letters we send to airplanes and helos and wants to know how many letters we have sent based on the identification of planes he has called in about. He said the plane is now coming around again for the 5th time. He also wants to talk about the content of the helo letter. He wants copies of the content that we send. He said he got something with the helop letter but it’s not a solution. He wants to see the map where we told them to fly. He wants us to enforce the GNP.
17.    March 14, 2007. Terry Anderson, 682-2773, who lives in Champion Greens called to complain about the air traffic today. She said the home owners are not happy about it and she can guage the general feeling of the association. She said today is an extremely bad day. She wants to come in and meet with me.
18.    March 16, 2007. Tom called at 13:35 to complain about airplanes doing T&G’s with too many passes. He said he had workers at  his farm today and that the T&G’s are obnoxious. He said the pilot is not following the GNP. He said the plane is not landing, just making low passes at the runway. He said the plane has pale blue markings. He wanted to know if the pilots know this affects the raptors and that his farm is a raptor habitat and that planes keep flying over it. How can coexistence work. Tom wants me to point out the raptor habitat to the pilots and use that as a tool for reasoning with them. He also wants to meet with someone else about the helos from last week.
19.    March 25, 2007. Marty Cortese, who lives in Niwot, called at 14:44 to complain about MHSC and their plane droning on and on all day long. She asked that they vary their pattern sometimes to the north or south so that it is not constant.
20.    March 25, 2007. Fiona Collins, who lives at Nelson Road and Hwy. 36., called at 16:44 to complain about MHSC flying over her house again. She said she doesn’t want the same thing as last year and she is going to try a different approach.
21.    April 1, 2007. An anonymous lady who olives in the Nelson Park Subdivision called at 10:30 to com-lain about a jet that took off. She said it was really noisy and she wanted to register a complaint.
22.    April 3, 2007. Tom called at 17:13 to complain about a helo that was doing T&G’s south of his house. He wanted to know if the pilot was just flying around until he sees the practice area. Tom said he is holding me responsible for the pilot not following the GNP. He wants to talk to me soon about the lights, the tower and the helo’s and wants to know if I can just solve one of his problems. He said he got a good laugh about the letter I sent him and apparently some other information that was sent to him by a helicopter company, He wants me to ban helo’s because they are obnoxious.
23.    April 3, 2007. Tom called at 17:44 to complain about helo’s flying south of his farm. He wants to know why we thank helo’s for using the airport if it impacts his quality of like. He said he just doesn’t understand it. He said the valley, raptors and helo’s don’t go together. He wants me to think about every decision I make and how it affects the community and that I need to give more consideration to him in every decision I make. He said eventually all helo’s will be banned from the community.  He said he heard about the article in the paper and that the only reason his complaints are down is because he was busy with the Airport Road project last year. The helo right now is an obnoxious creep.He said he also called Phil and told him about the mail he received and that he wants that stopped. He said he can’t accept behavior  from an idiot like this. He said the helo wouldn’t last if it was flying over my neighborhood, Phil’s or Don’s, that it would only happen once and that would be it.
24.    April 4, 2007. Tom called at 10:07 to complain about the helo from yesterday saying it was unacceptable. He also complained that the letter I sent them was too soft and that the map I sent them is not accurate. He wants me to redraw the map and have the helo’s fly over TP golf course, the high school or my, Don’s or Phil’s neighborhood. He said it’s totally obnoxious and way too many passes. He wants me to have a discussion with Don about the raptors in the valley because he feels Don understands and appreciates the raptors. He wants me to get back to him asap and tell him I have sent the helo’s some where else. He said he is going to meet with Phil and find out how he got on the mailing list at the helo companies. He thinks it’s a sick joke and trashy and that we should ban all helo’s.
25.    April 4, 2007.  Tom called at 12:13 to tell me he forgot to mention that when he and his family were all sitting around the breakfast table this morning that a plane he didn’t see but only heard dive bombed his house. He said his grand daughter thought it was going to hit the house. He asked that when I paraphrase his comments that I include the degree of severity in his calls like rude and obnoxious and very serious complaint or just letting me know it’s not working. He wants me to keep dual records for the serious calls and not as serious calls so at the end of the year I can tell him how many obnoxious calls he made to the airport. Every time he calls he wants me to track down the pilot and have a face-to-face with them. Today and yesterday he feels harassed, insulted and his grand kid frightened. He wants me to let the people who bother him when flying know that they are rude and obnoxious people. He said this makes it tough to be a neighbor to the airport. He said he tried to swap farms with another person very far away from here but when they came to look at his farm they were not interested because the airport is his neighbor to the south. However, he said he is still going to try to move away. He said the problem with the helo’s have been going on for too many years and that I need to get help. He said I have to stop the harassment and restore his quality of life.
26.    April 5, 2007, Kathy Hibbard, 772-2665, who lives off of Coyote Trail, called to complain about low flying helo’s this morning. She said it’s been going on for the past three weeks and wants the phone numbers to the comp[anies so she can contact them herself. I called Kathy back and spoke to her about the incidents and gave her the information she requested.
27.    April 5, 2007, Tom called at 10:19 to complain about a plane that he said was the same one as last year. A royal blue and white plane with alternating stripes. Tom said he was sure I have compiled a database and should be able to identify the plane. He wants me to contact him. He said the plane made six passes and is flying repeatedly above him. He said he is still going to talk to Phil. Tom said I should shield the light at the front of my office to demonstrate that I am a good neighbor and to show other airport tenants that I am willing to do it. He said the light does not bother him, he just thinks it would be a good example for me to set.
28.    April 9, 2007. Tom called at 12:58 to complain about a small white plane with bright red wing tips. He said it is off the wall. It flew over his brother and now just flew over him. He said it is the noisiest plane he has heard since the Chris Rodriguez antics. He also noticed the plane last week. There is no excuse for anyone to make this much noise over the valley. He doesn’t understand why I continue to allow it. He wants to meet with me to talk about this event and many other things so he can get these settled. He said if I don’t want to meet with him and follow protocol, the he will talk to Phil again about it.
29.    April 9, 2007. Tom called at 17:35 to tell me that the plane he called me about earlier today only got worse after he called me. He said Connie was upset too and was going to take my call so she could also tell me what the plane was doing. He is more than disappointed in my response. He said planes like today I have to identify immediately and reprimand the pilot. He also wanted to know why I don’t return pages. He remembers last year I didn’t call hi8m back when he paged me either. He said as Airport Manager I cannot accept that kind of behavior any more. He wants me to get back with him ASAP so we can arrange a time to meet about this.

I called Tom back on April 10 at 10:40 to tell him I had received both of his complaints. I also advised Tom that I do not carry the pager until May. I told him I would try to identify the plane if able and that I would record his complaint in the data base.

30.    April 12, 2007. Tom called Don and left the following message: Tom called and left a voice message at 8:38 am.  In general he is concerned about the helicopter traffic over the farm.  He had an incident on Wednesday the 11th where a helicopter flew over his moms and brothers house and is harassing of the Raptor wildlife; he made a reference to a quote from Lindbergh who preferred birds to aircraft.  I returned his call at 10:35 am and left a message that I had received his complaint, that helicopters were allowed aircraft, and that we could assist him with the FAA phone number if he felt it was a low flying aircraft violating FAA rules and he wanted to report it.  I indicated we would log his complaint in the Airport complaint Log.
31.    April 15, 2007. Tom called at 11:33 to complain about a plane making innumerable T&G’s. He also said he received another crazy letter from Don that did not solve anything. He said it was a blue plane this morning and he believes he called about this many times in the past. He said there are lots of things to talk about and when I get back he wants to meet about these. He wants to come over to the airport.
32.    April 18, 2007. Tom called at 21:31 to complain about a helo that was using the airport and creating too much noise because he could hear it. It wasn’t flying over his house or property, just using the airport. He said this is too much noise in the Valley at night caused by the airport. He doesn’t believe operators’ like this deserve a thank you note. When I get back we need to get together and talk.

33.    Don left me a message at 11:07 a.m. to advise Tom had called the City Manager’s Office to advise he was under assault by helicopters. Don asked me to check this out. Prior to receiving Don’s call, I was leaving the maintenance facility at approximately 10:45 a.m. and noticed a larger red helicopter departing the airport. In anticipation of phone calls, I followed the helo north on Airport Road up to the subdivision on Mt. View Avenue. The helo stayed east of Airport Road the entire time after departure until well past 9th Avenue and north of the rail road tracks. The helo then turned north west and flew to what I estimate 75th Street before turning south. The helo that I observed never flew over the Zweck property, was more than 1,000 above the ground and did not return to the Airport. I also observed a small white helicopter practicing touch and go’s to the concrete ramp on the Airport. The helo would land and then take off to the south over the vacant land adjacent to Amgen and then return to the ramp. I observed him do this three times. The helicopter never flew north of the Airport nor did it violate any of our NAP guidelines. After these three maneuvers were completed, I then observed the helo make three more touch and go landings using the regular traffic pattern. This time he was flying the same pattern as airplanes. I radioed the helo, 11MK, and asked that if he was going to use the airport if he could please cut his pattern in tight and close to the airport. The pilot radioed back that he would comply. His next pass was over the maintenance field and was his last pass. The helo then departed to the south, back to Jeffco. In addition, there was a third helo in the area, flying low east of the airport keeping all aircraft advised of his position via radio while the helo was inspecting power lines and sub stations. While I was unable to get the helo’s call sign, this is not an untypical practice for Platt River Power Authority. 

34.    April 27 at 10:19. Tom called to complain about a large twin engine airplane that just made a huge power turn from south to north over the top of him. He said the wings were perpendicular to the ground and that the pilot was a hot dog, idiot. He said this is totally obnoxiouls. He also wanted to know if I reprimanded anyone yet. He said he will watch for this jerk again for more assaults. Now the plane is way north over the RR tracks. What do I do to reprimand these people. There is zero excuse for this behavior.

35.    April 27 at 15:21. Tom called to tell me to stop logging his calls in the data base and do something about them. Now there is a small plane with a red fuselage and red wings that sounds like an ultralite. It has been a horrendous afternoon. Nobody is following the pattern. The airport is totally out of control and nothing has changed since 2001. He wants me to ask Gordon to hire more help at the airport to monitor. He wants to knw what I am going to do. The data base doesn’t help him at all and he wants my cell number.

36.    April 28 at 12:19. Tom called to say his lifestyle is being ruined by the airport because 90% of the planes don’t follow the NAP. Just about all of them are flagrant violators of the good neighbor policy. He said I need help. He said its my job to ask for help. Today is horrendous. He doesn’t deserve this and I got to get the airport under control. The data base isn’t good enough. I need to disregard Don’s directives and get control of the airport.

37.    April 28 at 17:09. Tom called to say the skydive plane roared over the river. He also said there is a white, cream colored helo that flew over the top of him when he was planting. He wants me to identify them. He wants Don to help him file a complaint with the FAA. The skydive plane is obnoxious and whiny and destroying his quality of life. I need to hire extra help.

38.    April 28 at 19:14 Tom called to say there is an obnoxious and rude ultralite flying over hHaselbushes. He said it is ridiculous. People like that can’t conduct themselves any more like that.

39.    April 29 at 11:01 Tom called to say that T7G’s are really bad today. There is one plane that is far to the north but it’s still really loud and the engine had to be altered. This is a flagrant violation of the NAP. The data base is not good enough anymore. He wants to know what type of progress is being made. There have been too many passes today.

40.    May 4 at 21:50. Ray Miller who lives at 1486 Clover Basin drive called to complain about a plane being too loud this evening and it seems to get worse when the weather gets warmer. His number is 678-1918. He asked that I call him back. I called him back the following morning for additional followup.

41.    May 5 at 12:51. Tom called to say the skydive plane flew right over the top of him and that they have been climbing from south to north over his house and that I need to get it straightened out because his quality of life is deteriorating. He said the City should be embarrassed and appalled that it is getting worse.

42.    May 6 at 11:05. An anonymous woman called to complain about planes circling over TPGC and revving their engines. She asked that I talk to people here and ask them to vary their patterns.

43.    May 6 at 11:21. Tom called to say the airport is out of control this morning. There is a vintage WW2 plane flying and he is suffering because of it. The plane is navy blue and white and has flown over three times. He ants’ me to remind everyone that the Zwecks have lived there since 1863. He wants to know why this happens. He said letters in the Boulder paper help create his problem. He said his family getrs bothered too much. The skydive plane is also too noisy and they are not climbing correctly. We need to talk about this. When will I get the airport under control. He can’t live with it anymore. It’s not courteoeus. Helo’s too. The airport is just being subsidized with federal money for recreation that supports this type of nonsense.

44.    May 6 at 13:02. Tom called to complain about a big navy blue plane flying right over him and then shooting out smoke over the airport and making a big dive right over the top of him. He wants me to play this tape for Gordon. What would my boss think of this? I need to reprimand this person that is assaulting him. He wants my cell phone number immediately and thought he would have it by May 1. We can’t let people like this use the airport.

45.    May 16 at 09:26. Sharon Smith, 485-5336, who lives off Pike Road called to complain about a small yellow plane making too much noise circling over the area for the past 45 minutes. She asked for a call back. I called her back within 30 minutes to follow up.

46.    May 16 at 09:33 Joe Mendell who lives off Pike road called about the same as above. 702-9004. I called him back within 30 minutes to follow up on his call.

47.    May 16 at 1720. Marilyn Wendell who lives at 2201 Grant street, 720-984-8672, called to complain about three airplanes that keep circling her house this week everytime she goes out to paint it. The planes are harassing her when she is on the ladder and then go away when she is done. They are too low and too loud and she wants it to stop. I called her back within thirty minutes for additional follow up. She said the planes only come over her when she is painting her house.

48.    May 26 at 10:30 an anonymous man who lives on Sherman Street called to complain that the flight routes to the runway are being flown too low, not even close to the 1,000 feet above the City as they should be. He anted me to get word to pilots as they land . He said the jump plane is low too. He thanked me for his help.

49.    May 26 at 18:30. Ray Miller, 678-1918, who lives in Clover Basin called to complain about the skydive plane flying too low. He said it was maybe 100 feet above the ground.  I called Ray back and talked to him about our pattern and gave him Frank’s number.

50.    July 14 @ 10:14. Mark Powell, 678-7030, who rents the Huff property, called to complain about a yellow, blue and white helicopter that was flying to low and made several passes over his house. He said this was not normal compared to typical airport behviors. I called Mark back and told him we had an identity on the helo and would follow up accordingly.

51.    Chirsting Johnson, who lives west of 75 th street also called about the above. She said it had been going on for about 15 minutes. I called Christine back and told her we had an identity on the helo and would follow up accordingly.

52.    52. Kath Hibbard, who lives off of St. Vrain Rd, west of the airport also called about the helo. The N number is 38AZ.  I called Kathy back and told her we had an identity on the helo and would follow up accordingly. The helo is a survey company based out of Denver.

53.    July 21 at 09:30. Dana Grey, who lives in Nelson Park, called to complain about the skydive aircraft coming in too low over her neighborhood. She said typically they avoid it and wants to know if they could go back to the way they were flying previously. I called her back and told her I would pass on her complaint to Frank.

54.    July 22 at 09:00. Dana Grey called again with the same complaint as yesterday. I gave her the same response and will follow up with Frank this week.

55.  Tim;
August 17, 2007.I got a call today from Doris Ogden on Oakwood Ave.  a loud, low flying Military type plane buzzed their house today.  She and her husband are both retired aviation and generally have no complaints but this was very excessive.  I called out to Airwest and they said it was Bill Greenwood from Aspen departing in a old military spitfire.  I called Doris back and explained to her we would log it in the complaint log and we would contact Mr Greenwood about our NAP.  Please follow up
thanks don

56.    August 20 @ 10:20. Marilyn Alder, who lives on Grant Street, 720-984-8672, called to complain about low flying airplanes over her house. She said she got pictures and wants me to see them. I called her back to get more info and talk to her about it. I gave her my e-mail address to send the pictures. I received the pictures and you can’t tell from the what height they are.

57.    August 21 @ 10:56. Marilyn Rae, 684-9820 called to complain about low flying aircraft that were barely above the trees and clipping branches. I called her back to get more info.

58.    Tracy Spenser, who lives in Clover Basin, 303-588-6217, called to complain about early morning noise from the airport this morning. She said it woke her up. I called her back with information.

59.    Sept 2 @ 10:00 hrs. Marty Cortese, who lives in Niwot, 581-0692, called to complain about noisy aircraft this morning constantly flying over head from south to North. She said it’s been going on all morning and is quite bothersome. She asked if there was anything I could do.  I called her back and got more info and told her I would try to see if I could let folks know about her area.

60.    September 4, @ 11:00.  Marty Cortese, who lives at Blue Bird Circle, near Boulder Res, 303-581-9240, called to complain about the constant drone of MHSC constantly overhead. She said it is all she can hear all day long.   On Sept. 11 myself and Clay from MHSC visited with her husband and her at their house to ascertain the problem. We also experienced overflights from the Boulder skydive business. Clay will try to work with her to minimize the noise imprint.

61.    Septermber 10 at 09:30.  Ted at 303-0776-7944 called to complain about low flying, noisy aircraft over the City. He said no call back was necessary, he just wanted me to record his complaint.
62.    September 22. An anonymous lady who lives on south 95th called at 10 a.m. to complain about low flying aircraft over her residence. She said they normally don’t fly there and wanted me to get word out.
63.    September 25 @ 116:20. Kathy @ 303-682-5313, called to complain about noisy airplanes flying today. She lives off of 9th avenue and doesn’t understand why airplanes have to fly over that area. I called her back to get more info.

64.    October 15, 2007, an anonymous man called in a complaint about late night operations to the City. A CRTS was issued and I closed it.

65.    November 9, at 07:15. Carrol Patela, 772-4404, who lives in the Willow Creek subdivision south of the airport called to complain about a low flying noisy airport this morning. She said this is the first time it has happened. She asked that I call her back and I did. She had no more information for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment